1. Connecting: Our Founder/Director, Ms. Salli, won't say this herself, but we have yet to meet a student yet that doesn't love her. She is living proof that teachers who love kids and teaching "just because" are born, not made. Salli can introduce you and your student to the Academy with a tour and a sit-down discussion to work out a game plan towards success.
2. Info-gathering: Interviewing parent and student. We believe improving grades and encouraging a love of learning starts with listening and keen observation in order to find the keys to sparking motivation and building confidence in your student.
3. Tools: We choose the most appropriate assessment tools for your child from among our menu of the latest, teacher-endorsed resources, including tools for non-readers, paper or computer-based and more.
4. Results/Plan/Tutor: Based on the assessment results and input from the classroom teacher (school visits are optional), we will propose a Custom Learning Plan. Based on the personality of the student, the conversation with a parent or teacher, and the observations/results from the assessment, Salli will recommend a Tutor. When we say propose, we want to accommodate parent/guardian preferences. We advise, parents decide.
5. Study/Organizational Skills: Depending on the age of the student, we ascertain via a written diagnostic or through an interview, needed improvements in HOW your student spends class time, takes notes, does homework, prepares for tests and whether not and how they are organized. Improvements are either addressed in separate modules, some of which parents attend or integrated into regular tutoring sessions.
All our Tutors have are well-qualified, experienced, with a demonstrated gift for teaching. Some have a California Teaching Credential, but all have experience as educators and demonstrated a record of success with students and high satisfaction with parents. If your tutor doesnt seem to be the perfect match, we will work to find a better fit.
Our tutors include both veteran educators with advanced degrees and broad experience and teachers starting out in their careers who are versed in the latest effective methods and educational technologies. The Director reviews our Tutor Profiles with each family and selects which Tutor is the best fit.
Academy Learning Center's Tutors faithfully implement the Custom Advancement Plan, communicates with the family (and school, by request from the family), and frequently provides Progress Reports to ensure the achievement of the Advancement Plan goals. Advancement Plans are re-evaluated on a regular basis.
The length of each tutoring session and the number of sessions per week varies, depending on the individual’s assessment results and the Academic Game Plan laid out by the Director and parents/guardians. Sessions are held at least once a week to provide consistency and last 60 mins for students in first through 12th grade and 30 - 60 minutes for pre-K and first graders. High school sessions can stretch to 90 or 120 mins, depending on individual Academic Game Plans laid out by the Director and parents/guardians.
Private and Semi-Private
K-8th Grade Level
• Private Tutoring: $55/hr
• Semi-Private (2 on 1): $40/hr]
• Semi-Private (3 on 1): $30/hr
• Homework Help Club (4 on 1): $25/hr
9th-12th Grade Level
• Private Tutoring: $60/hr
• Semi-Private: $40/hr
Academy Learning Centers' tutors and instructors excel in many subjects for grades Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our tutors have particular expertise, credentials, graduate degrees and multi-year experience in the following areas: